Thursday, May 20, 2010

How do I get a six-year-old to work?


The kitchen floor in our home needs to be swept so badly! So very, very badly. It'd be really easy for me to do it, and do it quickly. But I'm not going to do it because it's K.D.'s chore for the month of May. And, for me, it's a matter of principle.

The last week of April, I decided that our current chore chart wasn't doing well in our family so while all the children were in the kitchen - the location of our computer - I typed up with them surrounding me my expecations of what exactly certifies as a clean bathroom, a clean kitchen, a clean living room, and a well-swept floor. I printed it off and hung it up for easy reference. Then we all voted as to how they wanted to do the chores, i.e., once a week (dishes on mon, sweeping on tues, bathroom on wed, etc.) or being responsible for one chore for the entire month. Unanimous rule was a chore per month, and it's working better than the last way we were doing it, although as with anything, there have been a few kinks we have worked out as they popped up. Well, the system is working except in regard to the kitchen floor.

I don't know if it's because she's six and therefore incapable of big picture ideas or if she really only can see the crumbs that I point out and doesn't see that the entire floor is covered in crumbs or if she just doesn't care about the floor as much as she cares about her books and her imaginative world. The floor hasn't really been clean for the entire month of May (except for last Saturday when Mr E swept and mopped it himself - love that guy!!) K.D. - who excitedly chose the chore first - is not a "let's get the chores done so we can play" gal; in fact, she's quite the opposite. K.D. is found quite often in her room with a book or engrossed in some other play while her chore sits undone. When I call her to do her chore, she does it until my attention diverts elsewhere; then she's gone. When dishes need to be dried, she always has a bathroom emergency. I just don't know what to do. With other children in the household, I can't "keep my thumb on her" and her only. Our incentive rule of "no screen (t.v., computer, playstation) nor friends nor outside time until the chore is done" works well for the other kids but not for her. What works for a six-year-old to get her to work?

On a different note, the stories she used to write about death (see http://determinedkaty.blogspot.com/2010/01/on-death.html) have changed into stories about happier things like fashion and dating. Or are those happier things? As I write, I think those are scary things - those are 10 + years away and she's already thinking about them now. If I can't get her to commit to a well-swept floor, how will I get her to commit to a higher standard of personal integrity and moral virtue no matter what else is going on around her or what her friends consider acceptable behavior? Everything relates. Everything.
Scary world. Scary kitchen floor. (Keep your shoes on at my house.)

(pics taken May 13, 2010 on her way to school with "Princess Hair" that our wonderful and talented neighbor did for her the evening before - K.D. was so happy for the next TWO days - thanks Autumn!)

1 comment:

  1. Dearest _________,
    I adore you and your familia. Thanks for pointing out that you have a blog. I feel like I can "see" you know. I miss you! And, I think your writting on the other blog is lovely! Here's to me, you, and Cap'n Jack in, oh, about 18 months...

    ReplyDelete