
K.D.'s first grade teacher e-mailed me on Tuesday afternoon that K.D. had not turned in any of the assignments she had missed while out sick last week; in fact, the teacher wrote, she found them "stuffed in K.D.'s desk." She couldn't believe it nor could I: report cards had come out the week before and K.D. had received straight 5s (A's) and E's (Excellents) except for one S (Satisfactory). The S was for not turning in all of her assignments on time. When I received the e-mail, I laughed to myself. However, I couldn't let K.D. know I was amused. I wanted her to feel the weight of a serious problem she had caused and been caught at -by both her teacher and her mom. (I had asked her on Monday if she had any make-up homework from last week's two and a half missed school days. She replied, "Nope," and ran off happily to play outside in her wonderland of downfalling snow.)
All of my children have gone through this about this age in their lives. The white lies begin in Kindergarten/First Grade. I don't know if it's a normal phase of childhood or if the immediate gratification is so much more tangible and fun and "Tomorrow K.D." can handle the later consequences or or or if it's the expansion of the mind that occurs as the world has grown (school is so much bigger than the square footage found at home) and watching and observing and becoming aware that when the truth isn't told, sometimes your luck is such that you just don't get caught.
Not this time. We talked about lies, consequences, what happens the next time when I don't believe her and she really is telling the truth, letting down her teacher, letting down her parents, not choosing the right .... But knowing K.D. and her love of the imaginary world more than the real world, she probably heard "Blah blah blah and blah." Until the following morning: she was scared to go to school 'cause she was afraid her teacher wouldn't like her anymore. We had a quick and teary (her tears, not mine) chat and promises were made: she wouldn't do it again and I wouldn't bring it up ever again. And the end.
Until the next time. Isn't it so amazing that you feel like an "a-ha" has occurred and all is well ... until the next time when it's a different and semi-larger problem? Like the Dad says in the Parenthood movie (something to the effect of), "This isn't a game. There is no end to raising kids. There is no touch-down, no winning point, nothing ends your job as a parent and you never get to say 'I won, it's over and I won.'" Super scary but super true.
I can already tell that I'm going to learn so much from reading your blog! I'm glad you befriended me :) Love the stories.
ReplyDeleteI read this and decided that you are getting better at telling your stories in an active tone, rather than a passive tone. (I don't know if you were serious about writing you fun book or not) My writing teachers always say, "show me, don't tell me". It was fun to read this one! Keep on thinking of way to show not tell and I know you will keep your readers giggling! I did on this one!
ReplyDelete