That daddy is a good man! Two weeks ago, our MK had a bathroom accident. The accidents actually happen often; she gets so busy that she doesn't have time to "go potty" until the very last second, and then she needs someone to help her by turning on the light, lifting up the seat and encouraging her, "Come on MK, you can do it. C'mon go." MK's cue phrase that she needs help as she runs to the bathroom is yelled loudly, "Help me Oprah" - something that used to be funny but now is not.Anyway, two weeks ago, MK didn't make it to the potty on time and had a witness [log] sitting just outside the toilet on the floor. She began to cry knowing that she'd be in trouble. Her dad got to the bathroom first, and instead of getting after her, began to clean her up telling her, "This is what happens when you wait too long." Although his words were reprimanding, he was kind and soft-spoken. I asked MK from the doorway - standing there with KD - watching like vultures the sad accident, "What happened?" KD responded with a clarity only a 6-year old can respond with, "She missed." We all couldn't help but laugh.
Kyle continued to clean up MK then the toilet then the floor. He helped her change into clean underpants and pajama bottoms. And then, the incident was over. There was no guilt. There was no yelling. It was just over.
I went into the bathroom later, quietly, and used clorox wipes to re-clean everything. I can't help myself; that's just the cowboy/Monica Gellar in me. But as I cleaned, I thought how differently it could have been. There could have been yelling, perhaps even a spanking (?), tears for the next hour, guilt on both parties, and reminders the next several days of the "sin." But there wasn't anything like that. This man, this father, this kind and sweet daddy just cleaned her up, was sweet to her in his words, and then let it be.
That's a good man I married. A good man!
(pic taken wed, jan 6, 2010)
He is a good man! These Eggett boys were raised right, Men like them are hard to come by these days don't ya think? If you think about all the Eggett boys, it really is amazing what good husbands, fathers, providers, and helpers they are to their wives. Hard to come by I tell ya, we are lucky women.
ReplyDelete